Thursday, August 13, 2009

Loathing

Dear Hormones,
While I know that I need you in order to be a human being, too much of you is simply horrible. You just gave me a crying spell in which I felt an overwhelming sadness. Don't you know I have a preschooler to care for? Thank goodness he was upstairs playing and didn't see his mommy break down. You become worse when I'm pregnant. It's like there is this wild hormonal party in my body. I ask you to take the party down a few notches to a dull roar.

I am bound and determined not to let you win! I've been learning many things about how our brains work and I feel that I can tame you! In fact, I was just able to talk myself out of feeling miserable during the crying spell I just had, so there! I wanted to roll up in a ball on the floor but instead I told myself, "You're not really sad about anything. Something must spiking with your hormones and your brain is just playing tricks on you." (I can tell the difference between being genuinely sad vs. hormonal sadness based on how quickly a spell comes on.)

Excess hormones, I loathe you. I think you're evil. But you will not beat me or win try as you may.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good for you jen!

(and BOOOOO hormones!)

Nichole said...

Hang in there, it will get easier. I remember feeling a lot like that during those progesterone shots, hormones stink!!

Amy J said...

Pregnancy hormones are roller coaster ride.