Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Is it Just Me?

I think there's something wrong with me because I'm not a huge fan of the beach. We just got back from Jekyll Island and I couldn't wait to go home. (We went to Tybee Island and Jekyll Island back in May and I liked it better then.) Even when Rick and I lived eight minutes from the beach in Southern California, I remember that we would go look at the ocean a lot but didn't go to the beach much. A side note: Rick would live on a beach if he could.

I'd rather walk along the ocean or sit on a huge rock or bluff to gaze. I don't like baking in the sun, getting sand all over me and my stuff, or swimming in something so vast. I don't like not being able to see what I'm swimming in. Also, I'm not into just sitting there. I can do that inside in the comfort of my A/C.

And I did not know this but the Atlantic is more salty than the Pacific. Did you know that? I was in the water the other day and was SURPRISED by how salty it was. Gross. I think I've also become a beach elitist because I'm used to California beaches and I have to say they're prettier. I totally miss Laguna Beach.

Tyler had a grand time and so I'll keep going back. But seriously, people, what is wrong with me? Everyone I know practically worships the beach.

4 comments:

megan said...

You should go to West Palm/Boca sometime. I think it's even prettier than California. I know what you mean, though, I'm a beach snob too. I'm spoiled from growing up at pretty beaches and am not impressed in the least by NC/SC/GA beaches. So no, it's not just you. :)

Jennifer B. said...

Yeah, I need to check out Florida sometime. I've only been there once, when I was six. Thanks for the input.

Amy J said...

Yes, it's just you... beach snob. :)

I would so love to live at the beach. I could almost cry when we leave the beach each summer. I will say though, I despise the sand that gets absolutely everywhere. But that's ok, in my dream-world beach house I have a shower AND tub outside as well as a separate sandy washer and dryer. :)

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I love the beach...but... I'm very particular, too. I love the Gulf coast beaches. So clean and white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters...so inviting...ahhhh. Sorry, thought I was there for a moment! I'm not a fan of the Atlantic coast. Try Destin, St. George Island, Siesta Key, Venice Beach - all in Florida. You will change your mind. Oh - and go in June when it isn't too hot.