Saturday, September 20, 2008

Within a Few Moments of Landing in NY...

Rick, Ty, and I went to NY for a week to visit Rick's family. I have interesting experiences when I go to NY but this most recent visit provided an extra interesting one within just a few moments after getting off the plane! Rick's dad met us at La Guardia Airport. He greeted us, took Ty's car seat to install in his car, and was going to pick us up right outside of baggage claim. But he set the car seat in the car but didn't install it. You know how it is at the curb, you're supposed to move quickly. I can appreciate this and thought "Oh crap, this should have already been installed." Rick worked fevereshly to install it when I hear this rent-a-cop chick YELL at us like we were totally stupid, "What are you doing? You should have already done that!" For those of you who do not know me well, it's not what you say to me, it's how you say it. She was 100% correct in what she said but her tone was unnecessary.

I looked directly at her and said, "Ma'am, you are right, we should have installed this before we got to the curb. We made a mistake and we're sorry BUT you don't have to be so snotty about it." Here is where things get interesting....

I don't even know exactly what was said but she and I exchanged words back and forth but no swearing. She made it a point to tell me over and over how stupid we were. I kept telling her that she didn't need to be so rude about it. She told me she was going to give us a ticket. I said, "Okay, what are you going to give me a ticket for? For standing up for myself? Let me help you write that ticket" I WAS SO ANGRY! There were dozens of people there waiting at the curb so this all must have been entertaining for them. Oh, my goodness!

Finally the car seat was installed and we all got into the car. Rick said, "Jen, I thought you were going to punch that lady!" I said, "I wouldn't have done that, but I do not allow people to treat me that way." Rick said, "Jen, she doesn't even realize she did anything. That is just how people talk to each other here. But good for you for standing up for yourself. She looked shocked that you said anything to her."

It is good to be home in Charlotte!

3 comments:

MELISSA said...

OH US NEW YORKERS LOL!!! EVEN WHEN I GO BACK TO VISIT I SEE WHY WE HAVE THE NAME WE DO!!

megan said...

Welcome back! Although I must say, I think you could probably make it pretty well with those New Yorkers :) I would have hidden in the car and cried! Good for you for standing up for yourself. I would have loved to have seen that :) I wonder if this lady is related to Papa Pino????

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Good for you Jenn!