Friday, July 18, 2008

My Moral Dilema & Wal-Mart

I have a love/hate relationship with Wal-Mart. I'll bet you can relate. I love their low prices and plentiful selection. I dislike their customer service and clientele. (Tega Cay is not so bad but the one on S. Tryon....oh, my). Today I went there for few items with Tyler. We went to the one on S. Tryon because it was on the way home. I had a coupon for a free tube of Rembrandt toothpaste. Coupons are particularly confusing to Wal-Mart cashiers. They look at them like they are written in Chinese. Anticipating this, I told the cashier that it is a coupon for a free item and that I wrote the price on it, which was $6.34. Then it began, she stared at it and stared at it. She said, "I hate coupons like this." After what seemed like 10 minutes she deducted the price of the toothpaste and I was on my way or so I thought......

Somehow she took the $6.34 off twice. Hmmm, what to do? The debate began in my mind:
1 I am frustrated with Wal-Mart almost every time I leave.
2 I'll have to wait in line in Customer Service and that may take a while.
3 They're the ones who made the mistake.
4 Who cares, they suck anyway.
5 It was an honest mistake on their part and I should give the money back.

I made my decision. I would walk over to Customer Service and tell then I needed to pay for an item (but only if there was not a long line). Hey, I wanted to be honest but Tyler may have been off to college by the time I got through a long line. There was no one in line so I told the worker I owed them some money. I did not do the right thing so that I would be thanked but the thing that annoyed me was that the lady kind of acted like I was bothering her.

I still think that Wal-Mart sucks but the frugal side of me will still go back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you did the right thing. i am the same way. we leave with stuff in brody's hands all the time and i always go back and put it back or pay. 2 weeks ago, we got all the way home before i realized brody stole a book. the next time we went to target, i took it to customer service and paid for it. i want the kids to know the right thing to do.