Friday, September 11, 2009

Opposite Experience

Thanks for the feedback I received about yesterday's post. I decided a few things:
1. I need to tell his preschool that Tyler has (had) some developmental delays and will they please cut him some slack with this issue?
2. Rick and I feel that Tyler needs to be encouraged to sit down to urinate so that he's not confused when it's time to poo-poo. If we're having problems getting to poo-poo in the potty then why the heck are we going to have him stand to urinate?
3. The worse thing that can happen is that they tell us Tyler can't go to school there until he can potty the way they want him to. It wouldn't be the end of the world.

I took him to the CMS preschool today. As a sidebar, some of you may not know this but Tyler goes to the church preschool T,W,TH and the CMS preschool (public school system) on M, F. His developmental disabilities are not severe so he only goes twice a week to CMS. Rick and I felt that it would help Tyler to enroll him in a traditional preschool for the other days of the week. Anyway, when we arrived at school today I explained that he's in the process of potty training and I started to over-explain myself ( a thing I do often out of being insecure). His teacher, Dr. Moore, said, "We're happy he's potty training and we'll do whatever we can to help him. We've had plenty of students have poo-poo accidents and we just clean them up."

I think I may have had tears in my eyes (remember, I'm pregnant) and said, "Thank you so much. You just don't know what that means to me." There is an assistant teacher but she was ill today. There was a nice male substitute teacher and he said, "I used to run a daycare and I've had to change plenty of poopy pants. It really is okay, We'll help in any way we can." I left and a large weight was lifted from my shoulders. I wasn't in fear of Tyler having a poo-poo mess. It's nice not to be in fear.

I'm going to leave in a few minutes to pick Tyler up and I'm going to talk to the principal to let her know what a sweet, kind, and understanding response I received from Dr. Moore and the substitute teacher.

3 comments:

megan said...

That's wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!

Karen said...

Glad you had a better day!

ODonnell Family Blog said...

That's great! Just what a Mommy needs.... support!!!