Friday, September 18, 2009

Do I or Don't I?

I think I'm going to have to give in and get the flu shots (Swine and regular). Different people have different experiences with flu shots and the two times in my life I've had them I got the flu the next day. Logic told me that it didn't make sense to get the shots anymore for two reasons: the shots are preventative against something I might get yet getting the shots make me sick. Tyler also got the flu the day after getting the shot one year. Plus, I'm just not a fan of getting shots unless I have to. I don't like putting stuff into my body like that.

I didn't buy into the frenzy of the Swine flu. But alas, pregnant women are highly advised to get that shot plus the regular shot. I feel like I'm darned if I do, darned if I don't.

We had a flu scare with Tyler yesterday that I posted on Facebook. I called the nurse at Dr. Smoak's office and they didn't want him to come in (they want as many children to stay home as possible unless it's really necessary for them to come in) until I happened to mention I'm pregnant. He had to go in for a mucus test to see if he has strep or the flu. He doesn't, thank goodness.

The poor kid had a fever of 103.6! Because of all that I'm more inclined to get the shots. I don't have a PCP so I don't know where I'd get a Swine flu shot. I know I can get a regular flu shot at Walgreens. Guess I better call the OB. Perhaps they offer the Swine shot?

Update: Called OB's office and I can get the shot there. Will get it next week and my appointment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

does the ob have the swine flu shot already??!! i didn't know it was out yet!

Jennifer B. said...

Yep, at least my OB's office does...or that's what the lady told me anyway....

Amy J said...

Hey girl... just so you know you can't get the flu from the flu shot. You can get it from the flu nasal spray vaccination, but it's impossible to get it from the shot. From the CDC "The viruses in inactivated influenza vaccine [the shot version] have been killed, so you cannot get influenza from the vaccine." It's a very common misperception. So regardless of whether you choose to get it or not, please don't use that to sway your decision! :)

I'm glad Tyler doesn't have the flu. Ava ran a 103 fever for 3 days a couple weeks ago. It was pretty much her only symptom. Weird.

megan said...

I'm like you in that I usually would rather risk it than get the flu shot. I didn't get it for my kids last year and they never got the flu, so it worked out. BUT, this year seems like a different story. I didn't want to buy into the hype, but the truth is that the flu (both h1n1 and seasonal) are everywhere this year already. So I'll be getting the shots for myself and all of the kids! Oh, and I agree with Amy that it's the mist that can give you the flu, not the shot itself.