Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4th and Tears

Rick took Thursday off and Friday was a holiday for him. We had a long, low-key weekend. We drove over the Buster Boyd Bridge and parked around 8:30pm on the 4th so we could see the fireworks. He just hung out while we were waiting for them to start and right when some of the firecrackers started to go off, Tyler started to scream. There was a nice policeman right by us and he was being all sweet to Tyler trying to get him to calm down. The screaming got worse and we decided to leave. It was horrible. He was so scared. I sat in the backseat with him so I could soothe him but it didn't help. His hands were over his eyes and he was screaming: "I go home. Tyler go home. Tyler go to bed. I go to the gym. I go school."

We kept telling him we were going home but we must have looked like liars because we were stuck in gridlock! He worked himself up so much that his hair was totally sweaty. My heart was breaking because I knew he was genuinely scared. We got him home but it didn't help much because people were letting off firecrackers in our neighborhood. He kept coming downstairs and telling us, "I'm scared." He finally fell asleep around midnight!

I understand that Tyler will experience scary things in his life but that was the first time he told me he was scared. Where did he even learn the words scary and scared?

By Sunday morning he was fine. He didn't mention anything about being scared. Rick took him ice skating in hopes of replacing Tyler's bad memories of July 4th with good memories of July 5th. It must have worked because he had a ball!

5 comments:

Nic said...

Way to go on skating, Tyler!!

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Maybe you should go out of the country on the 4th next year!! Poor Tyler!

Jennifer B. said...

That's a good idea, Kat!

megan said...

my 3 littlest are terrified of fireworks too. they watched them from inside but lexi still kept saying that she was "mad at dem fireworks" :) I know I was terrified of them till I was about TEN!! Poor Tyler. I'm sure he was in heaven ice skating though!!

Unknown said...

if it makes you feel better, brody screamed his head off too and repeatedly told me his just wanted to look for fireflies. the whole ride home he kept telling molly "boom boom - uh uh."