Saturday, November 1, 2008

Greensboro a Bust

So I drive up to Greensboro yesterday morning for what was supposed to be a day and a half of alone time for me (even a night alone in a hotel). I was supposed to attend the Women of Faith Conference. I was going to the pre-session and then the regular session. Usually large groups of women go to this or you go with at least a couple of friends. I was totally okay going alone when I made the reservation in July.

I got there yesterday around 10:40am to get a general admission seat. It stated at 10am so I was late. I am not someone who has an issue with doing things by herself. I've even vacationed overseas by myself twice and was perfectly fine. I am happy to go to the movies by myself. Heck, I even drove from AZ to NC by myself. But as I sat there by myself, it really sucked.

There was no one to look at/relate to when something really funny was said. There was no one with whom I could share the experience with. I looked around and I swear I was the only person by herself. I ate lunch by myself outside (meal included)and was kind of hoping I could chat with someone. Everyone was engaged in conversation with the other women they came with. I probably could have tried to make an effort to talk to someone but I didn't. Not like me.

After lunch I went back into the arena and was confident that I'd be able to shake my feeling of being isolated. That lasted for about 2 minutes and I got up, walked to my car, and drove all the way back home to Charlotte. Yes, I had paid for the entire conference. No, the money isn't refundable. I didn't have to pay for my hotel, though. The odd thing is that I'm totally okay with my decision to leave. I don't regret it except for missing out on listening to the speakers.

Now I'm home and I was able to go trick-or-treating with Rick and Tyler. I am still off the clock until 7pm when I would have been home had I stayed at the conference. By the way, my leaving early has no reflection on the conference itself. I truly enjoyed listening to the speakers but it's just not the kind of thing I wanted to be alone at. I went with a friend in 2005 and truly loved it. I plan on going next year with at least one friend. Wanna go?

2 comments:

megan said...

Sounds like you just weren't feeling like yourself this weekend. Maybe you were supposed to be in Charlotte for a reason. Keep me posted for next year :)

MELISSA said...

sorry you didnt have a good time maybe the next one will be better