Saturday, October 18, 2008

Potty Training Update

I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that Tyler urinated on the potty this evening. He drank about 7 oz. of milk with dinner and I knew he'd have to go potty shortly after that. He sat there for about 5 minutes or so, which I was pretty impressed with, and when he got up there was pee-pee! We praised him like crazy. I showed him that we take the pee-pee, dump it into the toilet, and so on.

The bad news is that I remembered something: Tyler has rather loose stools. He has what is called a short gut which is a result of having part of his large intestine removed. He had a horrible condition called Necrotizing Entrocolitis (NEC) when he was a newborn. Anyway, a lasting effect of NEC can be loose stools. How do I train him to go to the potty with so many loose stools? I brought this to Rick's attention and he said that he doesn't think that a lot of Tyler's stools are loose. I hope that Rick is right.

I'm sorry if I'm not being too graphic in the posting.

No comments: