Friday, October 24, 2008

Naps No More

I have been out of sorts this week. Tyler has been weening himself off the afternoon nap for a couple of weeks and this week he is totally done. His sleep schedule used to be that he'd get up at 7am, nap between 2-5:30pm, and go to bed at 10pm. A lot of people commented that his bedtime was quite late but that is what works for our family. I loved that schedule because I got a break in the afternoon, Rick got to spend lots of time with Ty in the evening, and I didn't have to get up very early in the morning. Actually, Rick hangs out with Ty first thing in the morning; I don't get up until 8am. I know, I'm spoiled. At least I appreciate it.

This week Ty has been sick for most of the week and still isn't taking naps. He still fights going to bed until 10pm. It's strange. Something's gotta give. May I sound selfish for a moment? Taking care of a sick child who isn't sleeping much has not been fun. We've been home bound. I make it a point to get out of the house a lot for my own sanity, for Tyler's well-being, and as a way to prevent Ty from watching/listening to the TV. His expectation is that the TV should be on if he's home. This is not to say that I necessarily give in to his expectation. He doesn't veg out and watch it but he likes knowing it's on. I only allow him to watch or listen to educational shows but still.....it's a huge bone of contention with me. I've been working on it. Okay, time to stop feeling guilty.

I guess I'll need to make it a point to put him to bed by 8pm since he's not napping anymore. He will totally hate it at first but he'll get used to it. No more afternoon break for me. Can you hear me whining like a baby?!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Anderson gave his up the day he turned three and it was really tough on me for a while, but it gets easier. Maybe have him have a little quiet alone time so you can get some mommy time. Anderson was the same way about not going to bed until 10 when he napped, but after he officially dropped the nap, he couldn't make it much past 8!

Unknown said...

giving up the nap SUCKS!!! but you will adjust as will tyler. for a while molly did every other day and then we just went to a hour of "rest time" in her room so i could have a break. hope you find a happy balance in your home!