Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Corey's Birth Story Part 2

I last left off at 7:00am on the day Corey was born. For Part 1 scroll down a tad.

7:00-10:00am Was checked and was still dilated to 3. Given Pitocin. Very uncomfortable and frustrated from not sleeping and not being able to move around due to the monitors. Contractions getting stronger. Asked if I wanted an epidural. As you know I struggled with this decision during my pregnancy. I almost automatically said, "Yes." I simply wasn't of the mindset to handle a natural labor and delivery. Besides, I already knew what natural childbirth was like and it didn't seem appealing on this particular day.

10:30am Nurse explained how I needed to position my body for insertion of epidural. She had me in a type of hugging position. I DID NOT LIKE THE WAY IT FELT when the doctor put the needle in my back. First I felt an awful and strange pain on the left side of my back, then the right, then my left ear rang and then I felt the pain on both of sides of my back equally. Rick laughed a little when I said my ear was ringing and I don't blame him. Who'd have thunk it?! During this the nurse is pretty much holding me up and hugging my tightly because she was afraid I'd move and/of faint. Once the needle was in and I didn't have to be totally still I threw up once and then again. The doctor said, "I have not even put the medication in yet." I think that was his way of saying, "Why the heck are you freaking out?" I told him my reaction was psychological and that I DREAD needles in my back let alone my SPINE.

This is where it got worse. Keep in mind, I knew very little about epidurals. I skipped that section of my pregnancy books. Once the medicine was in ONE of my legs went numb. I was told to give it a little time and that the medicine would spread to the other leg. It did. I HATED the way it all felt. Couldn't move my legs and my feet totally tingled. The nurse kept repositioning my legs but they had minds of their own. I told her I was no longer interested in the epidural and to ask the doctor to take everything out. She said, "Give it and hour to an hour and a half and the medicine will wear off a little bit."

Well, an interesting trade off it was. I could only feel my contractions a tiny, tiny bit (only a mild tightening in my abdomen) but I was no longer in control of my body. Ironically enough, I hardly felt the catheter the nurse inserted. Another huge fear or mine. I felt a pressure and that freaked me out. The nurse said to give in a moment and I wouldn't even feel that. She was right. I was hating life right about now because I WAS NOT IN CONTROL OF MY LOWER BODY. I know you're probably thinking, "Duh, Jen, that's what an epidural does," but again, I didn't know what to expect. After a few hours I actually willed my legs to move by using my hips. I was not going to let that epidural make me feel like an invalid!

Tried to fall asleep. No such luck. Tyler still slept and Rick slept on and off. I was very thirsty and hungry but you know how it does, no food or water allowed. I was totally grateful for my ice chips, though!

12:00pm My friend and adopted mom, Sharon, showed up and the three of us had a lovely conversation about all kinds of things.

1:00pm Tyler woke up. Shortly after that my friend Brigetta came to pick up Tyler. Rick and I appreciated that. The poor kid had been with us the entire time and a hospital room is not that exciting for a 4 year old. I was checked by Dr. Phillips and had dilated to 5. Not bad progress but not as much as I had hoped either. Sharon and I encouraged Rick to go get some lunch and he did. Poor guy, he need not dine solely on ice chips like I was.

Sharon could see that I was NOT RELAXED whatsoever. She did THE kindest thing for me. I couldn't believe she did this for me but she massaged me for over an hour. She rubbed my neck, shoulders, my entire back, my legs and even my feet - all with lotion. Only a mom would do that for you. Rick came back from lunch. Dr Phillips checked me again and I went from being dilated from 5 to 8 in only two hours. I am quite sure it was because Sharon helped me so much to relax.

More to come.

No comments: