Monday, October 19, 2009

Strider Dog

It was July 7, 1999. I happened to be off work on a Thursday and my roommate Christie called, "Hey, Jen? There's a Chocolate Lab hanging out outside my office. She has no collar and appears to be a stray. Do you want her?"

A few months prior I had bought my first house and decided I needed a dog to go with it. I already had a cat. :-) I research different dogs and decided I wanted a Lab but what color? Chocolate. I wanted a Chocolate Lab.

I drove to Christie's office looked at this dog, fell in love and said, "Hi girl, would you like to come live with me?" I justified not calling Animal Control or the Humane Society to see if she belonged to anyone because I felt that she had not been well taken care of. The insides of her ears had been neglected (you have to clean out floppy ears often) and the owners didn't bother to put a collar on her. I guess it didn't occur to me that maybe she did have a loving home and somehow she happened to not have the collar on that day. Nonetheless, she became mine. I named her Strider. Kind of a boyish name, I know, but it suited her. It was estimated by the vet that she was between three and five years old. That was ten years ago.

Fast forward to recently. She had been losing weight and was not active. "She's just getting old," Rick and I would say. But then she started throwing up a little each time she would eat or drink. We became quite worried when she started to lose control of her bowels. It became worse and worse over the past few days.

I took her to the vet at PetSmart this morning while Tyler was at school. Essentially, the choice was to spend a couple hundred dollars to run tests or to put her to sleep. The issue with running tests is that even if the vet could pin point what's wrong, it's not likely anything can be done anyway. The vet addressed my obvious pain and indecision. She said that if she didn't think Strider was an appropriate candidate to be put to sleep it wouldn't be an option. And second, the vet felt that Strider had a tumor in her intestines and nothing could be done about that. Still, I felt like a cheapskate if I didn't have the tests. But then the nurse brought up a good point, "If she can't control her bowels, that problem is only going to get worse." That was the point that had the most weight on my decision. "I think we need to go ahead and put her to sleep." Who wants to live like that? She's 14 and had a good life.

I decided to stay with Strider as they put her to sleep. I wailed. I knew it would hurt emotionally but I started to hyperventilate! Rick had to come get me which I was glad about that because he was able to say "goodbye" to her. My mind was playing tricks on me because I kept seeing her breathe. She looked like she was asleep and breathing. I told Rick, "I don't feel like I did the right thing." He said, "But you did," and he listed all of the reasons why. I'm not convinced. What if she had a couple more years of life in her and we could have fixed what was wrong, even if it cost a ton of money? I don't know. I'm sick to my stomach with wonder and guilt.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

jen, i am so sorry to hear about strider and i know that this was a really hard decision for you. sometimes we make decisions that we question, but in the end know that strider is in peace and not hurting anymore. i watched my childhood dog being put to sleep and held gracie the cat as she was put to sleep. so hard. you are in my prayers.

MELISSA said...

Im so sorry jen... losinga pet is so hard. thinking of you!

Nic said...

What a sad day. Losing a pet is never easy. I was there when we put our family cat down, and I bawled. Take peace in knowing that you DID do the right thing.

AmyDee said...

Jen,
I had the same exact thing happen with my cat last year. 14 years old, lost the weight, lost control of bowels, I had some simple blood work ran, but in the end they could not find anything. However, the doctor suspected a cancer in the intestines...

I chose as he got worse to keep him at home. Couldnt put him to sleep. In retrospect, I wish I had. Those last few days were so rough for him. In the end, I dont think he was in pain-but I should have let it end for him earlier.

In addition-animals do not typically do well with intestinal tumors, so there probably would not have been a lot they could do.

I am so sorry for your loss.

megan said...

I'm so sorry Jen :( But I do believe you did the right thing. It's so hard. We're gonna miss Strider too. She was a great dog.

Karen said...

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry. My heart aches for you, but sounds like you did the right thing.

Amy J said...

I'm so very sorry, Jen. It's an extremely difficult decision and it definitely hurts. I'm another that believes you made the right decision in giving Strider peace.

Robert, Jennifer and Peyton said...

Oh Jen, I'm bawling now, too. I can't even imagine how hard that is. Strider was 14 and lived a wonderful life as a member of your family! What you did was RIGHT, you have to believe. She is in a better place now and out of pain; she is thanking you. Sending you BIG hugs and love and thinking of you lots at this time of loss, Jen.