Thursday, October 8, 2009

Efficiency vs. Impersonal

I have mixed feelings about the new ways we communicate with each other and am wondering what you think? Here are a few questions:
Do you think that blogging and facebooking help us keep in touch more or less? I can make an argument for "yes" and "no". I lean toward "no" though. I find that I don't call people as much as I used to and visa versa. I do appreciate that through blogging we can share pictures and keep a virtual record of all the neat things our kids do. But we were all fine before blogging. Can't quite figure out how I feel.
Do you think we have anything important to say on Facebook anyway?
I know there are exceptions but we all typically say fairly unimportant things on our status updates. And for the really important things, don't we cheapen them by announcing them on FB? I felt like I did just that when I announced our baby is fine and that we found out he's a boy. I cheated myself out of calling people and telling them myself.
Is texting really necessary? I don't text and have not found a need to. However, I know some people can't live without it. Answer me this, though, why not just call the person you are texting?
Most importantly, doesn't all of this communication just keep us from spending time with the person or people we're with? Hey, I'm guilty of it, too. Tyler is watching Noggin (oh, wait, it's Nick Jr. now) while I'm blogging. Bad Jen, bad! That being said, I'm logging off.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

here's my 2 cents. the facebook / blogging thing helps me connect with the people in my life that i never see. i am so happy to have people back in my life that i would never even know about otherwise. it gives me great joy having these people in my "daily" life again.
as for the people who are local and i can and should see regularly, i try to. i do try to pick up the phone and call or walk down the street or whatever. not that i don't send ims to them if we happen to be online at the same time. i think it's about keeping your local friends local instead of just online.
ps - just so you don't beat yourself up, wasn't it so much EASIER just to post about the baby then have to call and explain to 15 people individually? : )

megan said...

My blog was, and still is, primarily for family and friends far away. I can't call my in-laws every day to update them, but through the blog they can still be a part of our lives. I certainly don't mind the ease of keeping up with local friends through blogs too, but I agree that I'd much rather call a local friend than read her blog.
Texting--I LOVE texting!!! Seriously, it's just easier than getting on the phone when you want to just say something quick or ask a quick question. With kids all over, it's very hard to sneak away and make a phone call, but texting I can do while still being with my kids.
That's my 2 cents :)

megan said...

P.S. A great benefit for facebook/blogs for local people is having conversation starters. There are plenty of people that I see and wouldn't always know what to say, but b/c of FB I can start with "hey, that trip to ___ looked so cool, tell me about it", etc.

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I so see your point about it all being impersonal, but I also think it is a great way to communicate with the "masses". Tod and I text daily because he doesn't like taking personal calls at work. Lots of ears listening!!

I've never been a phone talker. Even in high school. I would always drive to my friends houses to chat rather than talk on the phone. I guess FB and blogs saves me on gas!!!

Jenn said...

Well I finally jumped on the bandwagon with the blog (just got a computer go visit if you like), I think it is a great way to get your story out to friends and family far away. Now the texting right now I disabled texting on my cell but will start it when I get a new phone. I will mostly use it like Kat to text Bryan at work.