Monday, October 12, 2009

H1N1

I wasn't thrilled about getting the 'regular' flu vaccine but I went ahead and did it anyway. When Tyler had a fever of 103.6 a few weeks ago I scared myself into thinking I ought to get the shot. I think I feel good about my decision.

But what about the H1N1 vaccine? I've done quite a bit of research on it and have prayed about it. I have a strong feeling that I should not get it. Now trust me, reader, I realize that I may end up regretting this later. Here are my reasons for not getting it:
1. There are too many adjuncts in the H1N1 vaccine. For example, there are 25,000 times the amount of mercury found in your average food or water source.
2. The media is blowing the severity of H1N1 out of proportion. Yes, it makes someone quite sick. I get that. But there is no guarantee I'll even get H1N1 but if I get the vaccine it is guaranteed that all that junk is going into my body and into the body of my unborn baby.

This decision is taxing on me because I truly feel darned if I do, darned if I don't. I've read all of the risks to pregnant women. We're the group highest at risk. We're the group most likely to end up in the hospital. Nonetheless, the key is to tell my doctor ASAP if I think I have H1N1 and we can start treatment (like Tamiflu). And besides, the regular flu is more likely to make me dangerously sick than H1B1.

You can tell I'm struggling with this because of the fact that I'm writing about it. I welcome your constructive feedback. Maybe you know something I don't. I've been reading the CDC website quite a bit although I'm not entirely sure how much I trust them.

2 comments:

megan said...

That's tough, Jen. I agree that you're kind of darned if you do, darned if you don't. Both scenarios are dangerous for pregnant women. I'm not a fan of flu vaccines and even after dealing with the awful h1n1, I still wouldn't have rather taken the risk of the vaccine. BUT, with the way it's going around and with Tyler in school, your chances are very good of getting h1n1. I would definitely talk more with your dr. about it. That's really tough.

melissa said...

I have asked my doctors as well as the peditrician. I always say" Are you getting the vacine and are you giving it to your chilredn. They have all said yes. Maybe you should ask your OB..if it was his wife that was pregnant would he have her get it. I did see an amazing doctor on the today show who spoke very openly about the h1n1 vacine..all that you mentioned and then some. He still said he, his wife and children will be getting the vacine for sure. It is a stressful time with this going around..it make it ever worse. Good luck..I have been thinking of you. Hope you are feeling well. melissa C