Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fifty five minutes later

I thought I found a way to circumvent the system of having to wait forever in the doctor's office. Tyler needed to go to the Pediatric Eye Doctor today. We went three months ago and we waited forever. Actually, we have to wait a long time every time we go. That day, I was not happy and I talked to the office manager. Dr. Daugherty said that he had an emergency. Okay, fine. So I made today's appointment for 8:20am thinking I was cleaver. I mean, how behind can a doctor be first thing in the morning? Just to be on the safe side, I brought snacks (a good way to buy time with Tyler) and my laptop so Tyler could watch Blues Clues. After we waited in the examination room for 20 minutes it occurred to me how quiet everything was. I thought to myself, "He's not even here yet, is he?" I asked the tech that question and she got a look on her face as if to say "Oh, crap, she's on to us." Nope, we wasn't in the office yet.

I requested that she send the Office Manager, Courtney, to our examination room. She walked in, smiled and said, "Hi. I remember you. Is he keeping you waiting again?" I gave her the same spiel I did last time, "I understand that things happen and doctors get detained but the way to rectify the situation is for Dr. D. to call the office and for the office to call me. That way, I can come in a bit later and not wait so long." (But that would make too much sense, wouldn't it?)She was empathetic and asked me if I've ever said anything to him about it. I said "No, by the time he finally walks in I'm so mad that I'm afraid I'll be rude to him." She said she's talked to him about his tardiness several times but he's her boss so she has to tread lightly. I can appreciate that. She said it would be a really good idea for me to talk to him.

Well, walk in he did and open my mouth I did not. I saw his face and just couldn't tell him how rude I felt he was being. He's such a good doctor and is so kind to me and Tyler. But you see, now I'm a part of the problem for not saying anything. I decided to write him a letter to let him know how inconvenienced I've been. I'll be polite about it but I just can't go on like this without saying something. We go to him like three times a year. I don't want to switch doctors because he has been seeing Tyler for two years. He's familiar with Tyler. Besides, it not like there is an abundance of pediatric eye doctors in the greater Charlotte area.

The excuse for today's tardiness....there was an emergency. Whatever. I am an empathetic person but is it too much to ask for a stinkin' phone call from a staff member? Our appointment was at 8:20am and he saw us at 9:15am! When people have an issue with being late what they are saying is that they don't respect other people's time.