Monday, May 4, 2009

Step in the Right Direction

After hearing several good things about Peak Fitness I decided to join there and drop my membership at the Y. Peak is significantly cheaper than the Y, it's closer, and the facility is bigger. I was going to the Gold Hill Y and wasn't thrilled with it. I was so bad about going to the Y. I'm going to take advantage of the 2 free personal training sessions I was offered. I need to learn how to properly use the weight training machines. I just want to have more energy, feel better about myself and not be so pudgy.

I checked out the child watch facility and it seemed nice but there is one thing that's bothering me. There was a huge flat screen TV smack dab in the middle of the room with chairs facing it. It was as if the focus of the child watch facility was the TV. I asked the lady who was showing me around if it stays on all the time. She said that it's not always on. I guess the way I should handle that is to ask that it be turned off for at least part of the time while Tyler is there. I'm not anti-TV but if they have to have a one I feel that is should be small and in a corner of the room. I don't want Tyler going there to zone out and watch TV while I exercise. It's just a contradiction.

Geez, TV is almost everywhere these days: in the waiting room at the doctor's office, in the examination room at the dentist, at child watch and in cars. Whatever happened to reading, doing cross word puzzles, coloring or simply enjoying some quite time thinking?

1 comment:

megan said...

I bet you'll love Peak. that's crazy about the tv though! You know how I feel on that (we go weeks at a time w/o the kids watching any). There are SO many better things for them to be doing!! Reading, coloring, imagining, play doh, puzzles, I could go on and on!!! You've got me fired up!