Friday, May 22, 2009

Tyler's Speaking Skills

Rick and I are enjoying how much more Tyler is speaking. School has helped with this quite a bit. He's finally starting to use more than two words at a time. He'll say a few sentences here and there which is great. He's more responsive and interactive. His latest mini-obsession is Blue's Clues. I like to observe him as he watches because he really gets into it. He pretends that a lot of things are clues around the house.

He's able to repeat almost any word that we say to him (better be extra careful with what we say...hee hee) and he's reading more and more. I was working with him by writing words on the chalk board and I simply don't know how he knows some of the words he knows. Now I'm working with him on reading simply sentences.

I was concerned that he will not be mentally stimulated enough when school lets out for the summer. (When will schools go to year round? It makes more sense than being off for almost three months.)Even though I work with him and will continue to work with him over the summer he gets more out of school. Anyway, we enrolled him in camp for two weeks. It's called Imagination Station and is for kids with special needs of varying degrees. It's Monday through Friday, from 9-4 and is only $85 per week! I think he's going to learn quite a bit and will have many positive experiences.

No comments: