Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Confessions of a Forger

My name is Jen Burns and I forge my child's reading log for school. But not for the reason one might think....but it is kind of funny....

I am a HUGE believer in reading to children. I started reading to Tyler when he was a newborn. I was trying to foster a love for books. Several months later he started to take the book out of my hands each time I'd try to read to him. He would babble 'read' the words and turn the pages. He wanted complete control of whatever book I tried to read.

That has been going on to this very day only now he can actually read a decent number of words. There have been some books in which he'll actually let me or Rick read to him but it's fairly rare. He has a daily reading log for school and we're supposed to write down all of the books we read to him.

The whole point of a reading log is to encourage parents to read to their kids each day and to be accountable for it. I try to read to him, honest. But what am I supposed to do when he doesn't let me? He just wants to 'read' to himself. I love to listen to him. His little voice is so darn cute.

So I forge his reading log because the reading log is a requirement. Don't worry, I won't be the parent who does his science projects or research papers for him.

3 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

So funny, Jen! I wish I could do this for Jacob, but he has to write it all down himself.

Unknown said...

girl, you gotta do what you gotta do. i won't tell : )

Nic said...

Too funny. Hey, it could be WAY worse, right?