Saturday, August 16, 2008

10 Years of Addictions

It all starts off innocently. My addictions started 10 years ago. First is was Beanie Babies and then Collectible Barbie Dolls. For a long time it was Beanies and Barbies at the same time. This was when I was working full time, had few expenses, no children, and had a lot of time to go shopping. I was still frugal but I indulged in these items. Oh, it was fun. I remember the rush I felt searching for new Beanies that had just been released. After about six years, after 500+ Beanie Babies and 50+ Collectible Barbies, I decided that I needed to stop. What was I supposed to do with all that stuff, anyway. I ran out of room to display all of these treasures anyway!

Like most bad habits, I replaced one with another. I love, love, love buying children's books! This started about six years ago when I did my post-bac in elementary education and when I was an assistant teacher for 3 year olds. I had access to the cheap book-club books. I was going to teach the early primary grades and knew that I needed to build a library for my classroom. I was advised to have at least 100 books. Between hand-me-down books, the book club books, and garage sale books, it was easy to reach 100.

I went all through the post-bac program, student teaching and everything, only to decide that I didn't want to have my own classroom. (I love subbing, though.) My love for books did not subside. It got even worse when I had a child who loves, loves, loves books!

I was outside of to Books-a-Million tonight and wanted to go in to look at the children's book clearance rack. I thought, "I shouldn't go in. He has enought books already....well, I'll just go in to look." I only spent $19.50 and got some great books so I can't complain. I'm picky about what books I get; they have to have educational value. There was some sort of book about a farting dog...give me a break.

The next phase of my addiction will be going to old, used bookstores to buy children's books of yester-year. I have a reference book that lists bunches of books that have a ton of historical value. They are kind of expensive but I figure that I can sell them on ebay once we've outgrown them.

Anyway, I suppose that this is a good addiction because Tyler reaps the benefits!

4 comments:

~sheri~ said...

What did you ever do with all those beanie babie? I remember that addiction very well. Rick is going to have to start posting your picture in local book store, "if you see this women do not let her buy anything!"
:) Sheri

Unknown said...

my obsession is white pitchers. drew had to put a cost limit on them and now i sadly walk past them when i see a new one in the store. sadly, there's only so much room for white pitchers.

Jennifer B. said...

Sheri, I still have all of the Beanie Babies and Barbies. I sent all of the duplicate Beanies to US soldiers in Afghanastan to give out to the local children. Yes, I had so many that I bougt extras not knowing whether or not I already had them! They are in plastic tubs in our storage room upstairs!

megan said...

I can totally relate. I have 26 Cabbage Patch dolls from growing up in the 80s. Now I just saw an ad for 25 year anniversary editions and I'm having to hold myself back from buying them!!