Sunday, January 31, 2010

One Person's Theory

I think that companies, non-profit organizations, retail stores, and almost every other type of institution spend a good amount of time trying to avoid being sued. I immediately think of that whenever CMS closes down due to "inclement weather". Yesterday I would agree that we had rather severe weather in Charlotte that extended into today. But as the afternoon progressed, the ice melted off of the streets. "Surely kids will have school tomorrow," I thought around 5pm. Wrong. My child, who loves school, will have to miss out because CMS is afraid of being sued. The following is likely a scenario CMS is afraid of:

Someone might fall outside at a bus stop or outside of a school, which may or may not have anything to do with the weather. That person or their parents don't believe in the theory that things just happen in life sometimes and they decide to sue CMS instead. Their attorney's defense will be that CMS should have shut down in light of "inclement weather". Right, wrong or indifferent, CMS pays millions in a lawsuit. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

It could be argued that I'm making a big deal out of one day of school missed. But you see, this is one example of a few spoiling it for the masses. I'm so tired of that. Maybe it's just that I'm not the suing type. I don't know. What I do know is that it's absurd to call off school the NIGHT BEFORE when we don't know what the weather will be like in the morning and even if they are basing it on the weather now, I hardly think a bit of melting snow warrants closures.

4 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I agree with you about people and their desire to sue ANYBODY!! It is really sad!

I do see why schools were closed though. Mecklenburg and York are pretty big counties and they have kids who live in rural areas where the streets are not cleared. Unfortunately if you close one school..you have to close them all.

Jennifer B. said...

Kat, I can see your point about needing to close certain schools. Yet, I still don't understand why they can't close them on a school by school basis. Maybe I'm just not privy to the way things work at the administrative level.

Amy J said...

Yep, it's all or nothing for CMS. They can't even do delays. I am glad school was cancelled for today though. Kevin barely made it out of the neighborhood today because it's so icy. I wouldn't want to imagine a school bus slipping and sliding all over with my kids inside.

megan said...

Yeah, between buses and makeup days, it would be an administrative nightmare if they closed just the schools that were affected. I was annoyed that Emily's school closed today (they don't follow CMS) but then realized that we're pulling from several counties and some really did have it much worse than us. At least the makeup day isn't a Saturday this year!